Residence permit

Nationals of Greece do not need a residence permit, but must register with the police within three months.

For nationals of other countries:

  • Nationals of EU/EEA countries do not need a residence permit to stay or work in Norway. However, all nationals of EU/EEA countries who want to stay for longer than three months must register with the police.
  • Nationals of non-EU/EEA countries who want to work in Norway or to stay for longer than 90 days need a residence permit.

The Directorate of Immigration (UDI) normally processes applications for a residence permit. 

Applicants who wish to apply for a residence permit to live, work, be au pair or study in Norway must register their application on the internet using the application portal.