Travel and border information for Norway in Norwegian / English

Traveling to Norway? - Register your arrival in our traveler registry
(About the registry)

Visitor’s visa and residence permit

A visitor's visa allows you to stay in Norway or other Schengen countries for up to 90 days over a period of 180 days. A residence permit gives you the opportunity to work in Norway and to stay for more than 90 days.

[Procedures until further notice] 

Norwegian authorities have taken a series of precautionary measures in the effort to contain the spread of COVID-19:

  • No Schengen visas will be issued until further notice.
  • Visa applications will not be accepted at the embassies or consulates, nor at our external service partner VFS-Global. Representation agreements with other Schengen countries has been temporary suspended.
  • For updated information about Covid-19 and travel restrictions, please see this link

Restrictions on entry into Norway (COVID-19):

The Norwegian Government has implemented extensive restrictions on entry into Norway due to the spread of COVID-19. As a result, foreigners who do not hold a valid residence permit in Norway will be rejected at the border and refused entry into Norway under provisions of a Norwegian law relating to the control of communicable diseases. For the time being and until further notice, visas for visitors to Norway will not be granted.

For more information on the entry restrictions to Norway, please visit:

Temporary closure of VFS’ Visa Application Centers for Norway:

Due to the extensive restrictions on entry into Norway, it will no longer be possible to submit applications for Schengen visas to Norway at VFS’ visa application centers. The application centers will still be open for submissions of applications for residence permits to Norway.

For any enquiries, please contact VFS Call center.




[Procedure under regular circumstances] 

Citizens of the Republic of Korea do not need a visitor's visa, but need a residence permit in order to work or to take up residence for longer than 90 days.

In the Republic of Korea the Embassy of Sweden handles visa applications on behalf of Norway.  For questions regarding visa to Norway, please contact the Embassy of Sweden.

In the Republic of Korea applications for residence permit must be submitted to VFS Global in Seoul who will forward the applications to the Embassy of Norway in Beijing, China.

The Embassy in Beijing has a representation agreement with Denmark on applications for residence permits. If you want to apply for a residence permit to Denmark, you must submit the application to VFS.  Later the applications are handled by the Embassy of Norway, but in the last instance processed by the Danish Immigration Service.

If you are travelling with, or visiting, a familiy member who is an EU/EEA national these are the documents required when applying for a visa.

* For information about entry and residence in Svalbard, please see