Visitor’s visa and residence permit
A visitor's visa allows you to stay in Norway or other Schengen countries for up to 90 days over a period of 180 days. A residence permit gives you the opportunity to work in Norway and to stay for more than 90 days.
Important information 31.05.2021:
VFS in Kuala Lumpur (Malaysia) is closed until further notice:
Information to applicants in Malaysia:
Applications for visitor’s visas and residence permits for Norway are handled by the Norwegian Embassy in Bangkok, Thailand. All applications are to be submitted through VFS Global in Kuala Lumpur.
STRICT ENTRY RESTRICTIONS INTO NORWAY (COVID-19)
To limit the risk of transmitting the significantly more contagious variant of the coronavirus, the Norwegian Government has imposed strict entry rules. As a main rule only foreigners residing in Norway can enter Norway, as well as all Norwegian citizens (regardless of where they live). There are some exceptions to this general rule.
Groups that can enter Norway now include:
- foreign nationals who reside in Norway;
- foreign nationals for whom special reasons indicate they should be granted the right to enter, such as specific care responsibilities for persons in Norway or other compelling welfare considerations;
- foreign nationals who are to carry out agreed or formalised parent-child contact;
- close family members of persons residing in Norway, i.e. spouses/registered partners/cohabitants, minor children or stepchildren, parents or stepparents of minor children or stepchildren;
- journalists and other personnel on assignment for a foreign media institution;
- foreign nationals who plan an airport stopover in Norway (both in international airport transit and within Schengen);
- seafarers and aviation personnel;
- foreign nationals who perform commercial transport of goods and passengers;
- foreign nationals who work in critical public functions;
- health personnel from Sweden and Finland who work in the Norwegian health and care services.
The following groups of people cannot travel to Norway for the time being:
- grandparents, adult children, parents of adult children
- foreign nationals from countries outside the EEA who are granted a residence permit in connection with work or study, including as a seasonal worker or student;
- a foreign national who is to work with film or series production or as a researcher who is exempt from the requirement of a residence permit.
- foreign nationals residing in the EEA and EEA nationals residing in third countries (unless covered by exemptions that also apply to third-country nationals);
There are still strict rules for negative test before entry, test on entry and quarantine.
People arriving in Norway from abroad are required to quarantine and present a certificate of negative Covid-19 test. The test must be taken less than 24 hours before departure to Norway. If you don’t present such a test, you may be refused entry.
For more information, please see: Coronavirus in Norway: Travel advice - helsenorge.no
For detailed information regarding whom can travel to Norway now, please visit: The Norwegian Directorate of Immigration's Corona information page: Residing in a country outside the EU/EEA/Schengen - UDI
Information about the corona situation from the Norwegian government can be found here: https://www.regjeringen.no/en/topics/koronavirus-covid-19/id2692388/
Residence permit applications
The VFS visa application centres are open for submissions of applications for residence permits to Norway.
Please note that it is mandatory to book appointment.
Where and when to apply?
Please note that all applications must be handed in at VFS in Kuala Lumpur. It is obligatory to book appointment.
For any enquiries, please contact VFS Call center.
The Norwegian Embassy in Bangkok is responsible for processing applications for visas and residence permits from Thailand, Cambodia, Indonesia, Vietnam, Laos, Malaysia, Brunei and The Philippines.
In addition, the Embassy receives applications for residence permits from Myanmar and East-Timor.
For information about the application procedures and requirements for applicants outside Thailand, kindly select your country from the list on www.norway.no.
You can contact the Norwegian Embassy in Bangkok, visa section, at firstname.lastname@example.org