Travel and border information for Norway

Information in Norwegian / English

Visitor’s visa and residence permit

A visitor's visa allows you to stay in Norway or other Schengen countries for up to 90 days over a period of 180 days. A residence permit gives you the opportunity to work in Norway and to stay for more than 90 days.

Information to applicants in Malaysia and Brunei: Applications for visitor’s visas and residence permits for Norway are handled by the Norwegian Embassy in Bangkok, Thailand. All applications are to be submitted through VFS Global in Kuala Lumpur.

Restrictions on entry into Norway (COVID-19):

The Norwegian Government has implemented extensive restrictions on entry into Norway due to the spread of COVID-19. As a result, most foreigners who do not hold a valid residence permit in Norway will be rejected at the border and refused entry into Norway under provisions of a Norwegian law relating to the control of communicable diseases. For the time being and until further notice, visas for visitors to Norway will as a main rule not be granted.

For more information on the entry restrictions to Norway, please visit:

Press release from The Norwegian Government: Stricter border controls (15.03.20) 

The Norwegian Directorate of Immigration: Corona information page, Q&A 

Norway airports and air traffic information from Avinor 

For any enquiries, please contact VFS Call center.

Residence permit applications

The VFS visa application centres are open for submissions of applications for residence permits to Norway.

Please note that it is mandatory to book appointment.

Family members and boyfriend/girlfriend of Norwegians may now come to Norway to visit. Norway opening for some visa categories from July 15th

Starting 15th of July, the Government allows the entry of foreign nationals from countries outside the EU/EEA (referred to as third-country nationals) who have family or an established romantic relationship in Norway. However, no exemptions are to be granted from quarantine duty or from ordinary provisions of the Immigration Act.

Who can apply for a visa to Norway now:

Foreign national who can document place of stay for quarantine according to Covid-19-regulation § 5, first paragraph, and who has the following relation to a person residing in Norway:  

  • Spouse, registred partner or cohabitant
  • Child or stepchild under 21 to a person residing in Norway
  • Parent or stepparent to a child under 21 residing in Norway
  • Boyfriend/girlfriend who have been in the relationship for a period of at least nine months. Parties are required to have met each other physically. The person who lives in Norway must submit a self-declaration which the relationship partner must present on arrival in Norway, confirming that the two requirements have been met. A copy of the form shall be submitted together with the application for a visa. Form can be found here: 

For more detailed information on the new regulation, see here

Where and when to apply?

Starting from July 21st VFS will start to receive Schengen visa applications from the above mentioned groups.

Please note that the visa application must be handed in at one of our VFS Global application centers. It is obligatory to book appointment.

VFS' application center in Kuala Lumpur is open on Tuesdays and Thursdays.

For any enquiries, please contact VFS Call center.

The Norwegian Embassy in Bangkok is responsible for processing applications for visas and residence permits from Thailand, Cambodia, Indonesia, Vietnam, Laos, Malaysia, Brunei and The Philippines.

In addition, the Embassy receives applications for residence permits from Myanmar and East-Timor.

For information about the application procedures and requirements for applicants outside Thailand, kindly select your country from the list on

You can contact the Norwegian Embassy in Bangkok, visa section, at [email protected]