Travel and border information for Norway in Norwegian / English

Traveling to Norway? - Register your arrival in our traveler registry
(About the registry)

Visitor’s visa and residence permit

A visitor's visa allows you to stay in Norway or other Schengen countries for up to 90 days over a period of 180 days. A residence permit gives you the opportunity to work in Norway and to stay for more than 90 days.

Sudanese citizens must apply for a visitor's visa. Likewise, citizens of Sudan need a residence permit in order to work or to take up residence for longer than 90 days.

Applications for Schengen visas to Norway are handled by the Embassy of Sweden in Khartoum. You will find contact information for the Embassy of Sweden in Khartoum here.

For information on how to apply for a Schengen visa to Norway, please visit the the Embassy of Sweden's website.

Please note: Due to the Covid-19 pandemic the representation agreement Norway has with Sweden for handling Schengen visa applications in Khartoum has been temporarily suspended until further notice.

Applicants in Sudan who wish to apply for a Schengen visa to Norway, may submit their applications at the VFS Global Visa Application Center in Addis Ababa, Nairobi, Kampala or Dar es Salaam.  

Covid-19 and entry requirements to Norway

Effective Friday 29 January, 2021 new entry restrictions to Norway have been introduced. The main rule is that only Norwegian citizens and foreigners residing in Norway can enter Norway. For more information about the entry restrictions that have entered into force as a result of the Covid-19 situation, please visit UDI's information page about the Corona situation

All arriving travelers to Norway are required to register their name, contact details, place of quarantine and employer (if applicable) and any other information requested by completing an online registration form. The general rule is that all people, including Norwegian citizens, must register their information. After completing the digital registration, you will receive a receipt which you must present to the police at the border control. You cannot register your journey earlier than 72 hours prior to the time of arrival. 

The following entry requirements to Norway also apply:

  • Travelers from "red" countries must show a certificate of a negative Covid-19 test when entering Norway. Here you can read more about the test and who the requirement applies to.

  • Those who do not reside in Norway, or have an employer or client in Norway who can provide a suitable place to stay when entering Norway, must stay in a quarantine hotel for the first 10 days after entry to Norway. 

The Norwegian health authorities are responsible for the new rules (external website).

You will find relevant information regarding entry and quarantine requirements on the following websites:

Please note that the final control of the entry conditions occurs when you cross the Schengen external border.

Services for applicants 
Due to the Covid-19 pandemic our ability to provide services for applicants who wish to apply for visas and residence permits has been affected. 

Please note the following: 
VFS Global: VFS' Visa Application Centers in Nairobi, Kampala, Dar es Salaam and Addis Ababa are open, but with reduced capacity. Please visit for more information and to make an appointment.

Interviews: To protect applicants and our staff from the risk of contracting Covid-19, it is not possible for interviews to be conducted in Khartoum at this time. As soon as the situation changes we will start contacting applicants to make appointments for interviews. Interviews may be carried out in Nairobi, Kampala, Addis Ababa and Dar es Salaam. 

DNA-tests: To protect applicants and our staff from the risk of contracting Covid-19, it is not possible for the missions in Khartoum and Nairobi to collect DNA-samples at this time. As soon as the situation changes we will start contacting applicants to make appointments for DNA-testing. DNA-samples may be collected at our missions in Addis Ababa and Kampala. 

Applications for residence permits are handled by the Norwegian Embassy in Nairobi.

Applicants from Sudan and Eritrea may submit their residence permit applications at the Norwegian Embassy in Khartoum.  

If you are applying for a residence permit from Eritrea you may choose to meet at the Norwegian Embassy in Khartoum, or at the VFS Global application center in Addis Ababa. Either way, the application will be sent to the Norwegian Embassy in Nairobi,  which is a regional hub for immigration cases from East-Africa.

When submitting your application through the services of VFS Global, please note that in addition to the application fee payable online on the Application Portal Norway, you will have to pay a VFS service fee and a courier fee to cover transportation of the application documents between the visa application center and Nairobi, Kenya. These fees are payable to VFS Global on your application day.

For information about the application procedures and requirements for other nationals, please select your country from the list on 

For more information on how to apply for a Schengen visa or residence permit, please visit the Norwegian Embassy in Nairobi's website.