South Africa is Africa’s second largest economy, and among the most technologically advanced countries, with a sophisticated financial services infrastructure. There are significant investment and export opportunities for Norwegian businesses looking to expand their market. Several organisations, both local and as a part of Team Norway, can assist Norwegian businesses seeking opportunities in the region.
The Royal Norwegian Embassy in Pretoria can serve as a useful first point of contact for businesses that wish to enter the South African market. Specifically, the Embassy can assist with the following:
- be a point of contact for Norwegian companies interested in South Africa and side-accredited countries, and vice-versa;
- meeting facilitation with key government departments;
- provide political and economic overviews and knowledge, including the Norwegian perspective;
- expertise on specific, challenging issues and criteria for investment, such as Black Economic Empowerment, localisation and employment requirements;
- provide updated sector overviews, highlighting opportunities for trade and investment;
- facilitate meetings with local investment promotion agencies and other project development agencies; and
- facilitate networking events for sector stakeholders and assist in the planning of trade missions.