Visitor’s visa and residence permit
A visitor's visa allows you to stay in Norway or other Schengen countries for up to 90 days over a period of 180 days. A residence permit gives you the opportunity to work in Norway and to stay for more than 90 days.
Citizens of india (holding a Indian passport) need to apply for a visitor's visa to enter Norway. If you plan to stay longer than 90 days, you need to apply for a residence permit to enter Norway.
- The Embassy also handles applications from
All applications must be handed in, in person, at one of the local VFS application centers. Please note that it is mandatory to book appointment. All applications will be sent to the Embassy in New Delhi, before forwarded to UDI for processing.
Please note that it is mandatory to give biometrics when applying for residence permit to Norway.
All questions should be addressed to VFS Global Services Pvt. Ltd.
The handling time for appeals is more than 3 months. For further information on handling time for appeals please check UDI's website here.
As long as your passport isn't returned to VFS, the decision has not been made. The Embassy cannot give further details about the status of an application.
- Do not pay for any bookings before a visa has been issued.
- Do not apply for multiple entries unless you can document a need for it.
- A multiple entry visa is only necessary if you need to leave the Schengen area (Schengen / the Schengen area - UDI) and return during the same trip or have multiple trips within a short period of time.
- You do not need a multiple entry visa to travel to several countries in the Schengen area on the same trip.
- Please note that Svalbard, Greenland and the Faroe Islands are not part of the Schengen area.
- We will not issue multiple entry visas unless the need for one is documented according to the Visa Coda article 24 (2) or (2c) are fulfilled.
- EU/EEA family members can apply directly at the Embassy and pay no visa fee. Please check UDI website here Information about the EU/EEA regulations - UDI to check if you fall under these specific rules.
- Please note, we do not respond to visa enquiries on social media. All telephone enquiries regarding visas should be routed to VFS. For email enquiries check the instructions below.