Visitor’s visa and residence permit
A visitor's visa allows you to stay in Norway or other Schengen countries for up to 90 days over a period of 180 days. A residence permit gives you the opportunity to work in Norway and to stay for more than 90 days.
The Embassy of Norway in New Delhi handles visa and residence applications from India, Nepal, Bhutan, Sri Lanka and Maldives. Visitor's visa applicants from Nepal going to Iceland is handled by the Norwegian Embassy in New Delhi. Likewise, visa applicants from Sri Lanka going to Sweden, Denmark, Finland or Iceland is also handled by the Norwegian Embassy in New Delhi. Please read below for the current rules relating to visa application and entry into Norway.
COVID-19: Please check Coronavirus in Norway: Travel advice - helsenorge.no for updated requirements before travelling.
All applications for residence permits must be handed in at one of the VFS applications centers. Please note that it is mandatory to book appointment. All applications will be sent to the Embassy in New Delhi, before forwarded to UDI for processing. Please also note that all passports must be forwarded to the Embassy in New Delhi for control of document.
Please note that since April 2021 it is mandatory to give biometrics when applying for residence permit to Norway.
- The Embassy is currently experiencing a surge in visa applications. The processing time is therefore up to 45 days from the time your application reached the Embassy in New Delhi - not from when you registered online or submitted your documents to VFS
- Do not pay for any bookings before a visa has been issued.
- By applying early, you will have more time to finalize the plans after you have received the visa
- The Embassy's handling time for appeals is more than 3 months. For further information on handling time for appeals please check UDI's website here.
- As long as your passport isn't returned to VFS, the decision has not been made. The Embassy does not give further details about the status of an application.
- EU/EEA family members are can apply directly at the Embassy and pay no visa fee. Please check UDI website here Information about the EU/EEA regulations - UDI to check if you fall under these specific rules.
PLEASE NOTE we do not respond to visa enquiries on social media. All telephone enquiries regarding visas should be routed to VFS. For email enquiries check the instructions below.
Visa and immigration related questions should be addressed to VFS Global Services Pvt. Ltd on all days via email or telephone:
India and Nepal: +91 22 67866021
Bhutan: +975 2 33 8383
Embassy visa section
In your request, please mention your full name, d.o.b. and passport number. If already applied, please also submit your reference number.