If you plan to travel outside the Schengen area and return within the period of the visa, make sure to tick the box ‘Two entries’ or ‘Multiple entries’ in the visa application form. The Embassy will then assess whether there is a genuine need for a visa with multiple entries.
In order to be issued a visa with multiple entries, you must fulfill all the general requirements for a regular Schengen visa. In addition, you must:
- Document previous trips to the Schengen area.
- Have previously travelled in accordance with the issued visa, in particular by leaving the Schengen area within the dates set by your visa.
- Document a genuine need for multiple entries.
Categories of applicants who may be granted visas for multiple entries for one year are typically (the list is not exlusive):
- Business travelers who need to travel frequently
- Close family members of either Norwegian citizens or foreign citizens with a permanent residence permit in Norway. The same applies when visiting close family members in the represented countries.
- Persons who are to attend official meetings
- Frequent travelers who have travelled to the Schengen area more than once over the last year, and have plans to make several visits the coming year.
Applicants who have been granted a multiple entry visa with a validity of up to 12 months and has travelled in accordance with the issued visa, may then apply for a visa valid for two or three years providing there is a continued need for frequent travels. When this visa expires, the applicant may apply for a visa valid for five years, providing there is a continued need for frequent travels.