First time passport applicants must have a Norwegian personal number.
The passport application must be signed by the applicant. This does not apply to children under the age of 10. Parents who have custody of the child should not sign the passport on behalf of their child. Parents must, however, be present when applying for a passport for children under the age of 18 as they have to consent to a passport being issued by signing the passport application. If both the father and the mother share custody of the child both parents must consent to the issuance of the passport. Both parents must show a valid ID. If only one of the parents is present, a written consent and copy of the passport or a valid ID from the other parent not present, must be presented.
Children of all ages must meet in person at the Embassy when applying for a passport. If the child is more than 12 years of age the application must be submitted at the Embassy in Hanoi so that the electronic fingerprinting can be done. This is a requirement for all Norwegian passports. If the child is under 12 years of age this does not apply and the child may also apply for a passport at the Consulate in Ho Chi Minh City.
When applying for a passport, children must come to the Embassy or the Consulate together with the parents.
Applications for passports must be submitted at the Embassy during the Consular Section's opening hours, by appointment only. For an appointment, please send an email to the Embassy‘s Consular Section: email@example.com. See opening hours for the Consular Section here.
Please note children under the age of 12 may also apply for a passport at the Norwegian Consulate in Ho Chi Minh City. Applications are received at the Consulate by appointment only. Please find the contact information for the Consulate here.
Passport applications for children must be accompanied by the following documentation:
- 1 completed form for passport application (can be obtained at the Embassy).
- 1 passport photo* (must be identical, white background, not older than 3 months, minimum 36 x 47 mm). This does also apply to minors. Information in Norwegian here.
- Current passport or expired passport.
- Valid visa or valid residence permit to Vietnam if relevant.
- The birth certificate, which shows both parents’ names.
- Passports or other valid identity document of both parents.
- Valid visa or valid residence permit to Vietnam for parents if relevant.
- Application fee.
- For a child that has not held a Norwegian passport before, other valid ID document(s), such as birth certificate must be submitted.
* Please note: Applicants 12 years or older are not required to bring photos when applying for a biometric passport at the Norwegian Embassy in Hanoi. The photo will be captured at the Embassy.
All regular passports are produced in Norway. The current processing and shipping time is between 2-3 weeks from the time the application is submitted until the passport can be collected. Please note the processing and shipping may at times increase.
The Embassy recommends you contact the Vietnamese Immigration Authorities for information on regulations concerning entering/departing Vietnam.