Schengen visa for EEA family members

Under the Schengen agreement, the right of free movement of EEA nationals is, with some limitations, extended to family members of EEA nationals.

Family members who are covered under this are:

  • Spouse/partner of an EEA national
  • Direct descendants (children) who are under the age of 21 or are dependents of an EEA national and those of the spouse or partner.
  • Dependent relatives in the direct ascending line (e.g. parents) of an EEA national, and those of the spouse or partner of an EEA national

Please note that the right of free movement of family members of EEA nationals only applies if the family member is travelling together with or to visit the EEA national and only when travelling to a Schengen country other than the related EEA national’s country of origin, i.e. the spouse of a Norwegian national is not covered if travelling to Norway.

EEA family members applying for a Schengen visa must submit the following supporting documents:

  • The cover letter from the online application portal: Forms.
  • Passport/travel document, issued during the last ten years and valid at least 3 months beyond the departure date from the Schengen area. Please make sure that the passport has at least two blank pages and is valid for entry to the Schengen countries you are travelling or transit.
  • Passport photo, meeting the photo requirements.
  • Original documentation of family relations to an EEA national:
    • Marriage Certificate (if you are married to an EEA national)
    • Birth Certificate (if one or both of your parents are EEA nationals - the certificate needs to state both parents’ names
    • The Birth Certificate of the son / daughter you depend on (if you are a dependent ascendant of an EEA national - the certificate needs to state both parents’ names)
  • The EEA national's passport.
  • Flight itinerary.
  • Documentation showing you are travelling with or to visit the EEA national in a Schengen country other than the EEA national’s homeland.
  • Written consent from both your parents if you are under the age of 18, including current passport for both.

Please note that there is no fee payable for these applications

Submitting an application:

All applications for Schengen visas should be submitted to the nearest VFS Global Joint Visa Application Centre. VFS Global has visa centres in Adelaide, Brisbane, Canberra, Melbourne, Perth and Sydney. You need to book an appointment in advance. Appointments are booked online via the VFS Global website.


For information regarding Schengen visas, who needs a visa, how and where to lodge your application and the application process, please contact the Norwegian Embassy in Bangkok.