46st session, 9th of March 2021
Interactive dialogue with the Special Rapporteur on
the Islamic HRC46: The Nordic countries express deep concerns about the grave situation of human rights in Iran Republic of Iran
Intervention by Denmark, on behalf of Finland, Iceland, Norway, Sweden and Denmark
[Check against delivery]
I have the honor to speak on behalf of the Nordic countries.
We welcome the report of the Special Rapporteur but regret that it is only able to identify few positive elements, such as progress on equal access to education.
We note the Judiciary’s Document on Judicial Security and encourage rapid implementation.
We are deeply concerned about several issues, including:
• the Iranian authorities’ continued response to the protests in 2019, including the use of death penalty, the lack of fair trial, reports of torture and forced confessions.
• Use of capital punishment, including for child offenders.
• Discrimination against women and girls, including in civilian status laws, sexual and gender-based violence and child marriage.
• Continued discrimination and harassment of ethnic and religious minorities and LGBTIQ-persons.
• Detention of individuals who exercise their right to freedom of opinion, expression, association and peaceful assembly.
• Imprisonment and harassment of human rights defenders, including women human rights defenders and labor rights defenders.
Mr. Rehman, how can international partners best support the right to due process?