Residence permit

For nationals of other countries:

  • Nationals of EU/EEA countries do not need a residence permit to stay or work in Norway. However, all nationals of EU/EEA countries who want to stay for longer than three months must register with the police.
  • Nationals of non-EU/EEA countries who want to work in Norway or to stay for longer than 90 days need a residence permit.

The Directorate of Immigration (UDI) normally processes applications for a residence permit. 

Please be aware: If you have a non-biometric passport, and your residence permit has been approved, you need a D-visa to enter the Schengen-area. However, if you hold a biometric passport, you do not need to a D-visa.

Important information for those applying for entry visa, waiting for a decision on an application for family immigration (so-called D-visa).

For information concerning residence permits for internships in Norway see here.