Residence permit

Citizens of Sudan, Eritrea, Chad and Central African Republic need a residence permit in order to work or to take up residence for longer than 90 days. Applicants for residence permits from citizens of Sudan and Eritrea may be submitted at the Norwegian Embassy in Khartoum, which will forward the applications to the Norwegian Embassy in Nairobi, Kenya.

For nationals of other countries:

  • Nationals of EU/EEA countries do not need a residence permit to stay or work in Norway. However, all nationals of EU/EEA countries who want to stay for longer than three months must register with the police.
  • Nationals of non-EU/EEA countries who want to work in Norway or to stay for longer than 90 days need a residence permit.

The Directorate of Immigration (UDI) normally processes applications for a residence permit.