Visitor’s visa and residence permit

A visitor's visa allows you to stay in Norway or other Schengen countries for up to 90 days over a period of 180 days. A residence permit gives you the opportunity to work in Norway and to stay for more than 90 days.

Citizens of Myanmar need to apply for a visitor's visa to enter Norway. If you plan to stay longer than 90 days, you need to apply for a residence permit to enter Norway.

All applications are to be submitted through VFS Global in Yangon.

VFS in Yangon is open on Tuesdays and Thursdays. VFS Call center: +959795020279 (Tuesday, 09:30 - 14:00)

  • Stricter visa practice for Myanmar

    • Applications from Myanmar are processed according to the UDI`s guidelines for the red group (UDI 2012-008). This means that applications will only be granted in extraordinary situations.
    • For questions contact the Norwegian Embassy in Bangkok, visa section, at
  • Family members of EU/EEA nationals

    • If you are a close family member of an EU/EEA citizen residing in Norway, or a Norwegian citizen who is living in another EU/EEA country on a permanent basis and you are going to travel together with, or visit, this person, you will normally be given a visa.

    • By close family member means: spouse/partner/cohabitant or child who is under the age of 21 or supported financially by the parent. Parent who is supported financially by their child 

Norwegian citizenship applications

The Norwegian Embassy in Bangkok is responsible for receiving the following citizenship applications:

  • notification of citizenship for children with a Norwegian father
  • retention of Norwegian citizenship
  • reacquisition of Norwegian citizenship

These applications will be forwarded to the UDI for processing. For more information please visit UDI's website

The visa section at the Royal Norwegian Embassy in Bangkok can be contacted on the following email address: