42nd UPR Session of the Human Rights Council on the human rightssituation in Sri Lanka, as delivered by Ambassador Tine Mørch Smith, Permanent Representative of Norway in Geneva.
Check against delivery
1 February 2023
Norway welcomes Sri Lanka’s participation in the UPR process.
Norway recommends that Sri Lanka:
- repeals the Prevention of Terrorism Act, and in the interim, establishes a moratorium on its use;
2) upholds the rights to freedom of expression and peaceful assembly and releases all individuals who have been detained for participation in peaceful protests;
3) fully implements the recommendations of HRC resolution 51/1 and takes steps to implement an inclusive transitional justice process in the country;
4) repeals Sections 365 and 365A of the Penal Code and sections of other laws that criminalise homosexuality;
5) reviews domestic laws that discriminate against women and prevent gender equality, in particular by establishing a minimum age of 18 years for marriage.