41th UPR Session of the Human Rights Council on the human rights situation in Tunisia, as delivered by Ambassador Tine Mørch Smith, Permanent Representative of Norway in Geneva.
Check against delivery
8 November 2022
Norway urges Tunisia to ensure the separation of powers, as a basis for safeguarding fundamental freedoms and human rights. [Norway commends Tunisia on the adoption of Law No. 2019-51 on the elimination on violence against women.]
Norway recommends that Tunisia:
1) ensures in law and in practice the rights to peaceful assembly and freedom of expression, in compliance with the ICCPR;
2) ends the use of military courts to try civilians;
3) accedes to the Istanbul Convention and ensures the effective implementation of the relevant legislation;
4) implements its obligations under the 1951 Refugee Convention, and ratifies ILO Convention No. 97 on Migration for Employment and ILO Convention No. 143 on Migrant Workers;
5) ratifies the Second Optional Protocol to the ICCPR on the abolition of the death penalty.