Universal Periodic Review 37th session
Norway's statement during the 37th UPR session of the Human Rights Council on the human rights situation in Nepal as delivered by Ambassador Tine Mørch Smith, Permanent Representative of Norway
Check against delivery
Norway welcomes Nepal’s participation in the UPR process and congratulates Nepal for being elected to the UN Human Rights Council 2021-23.
Norway recommends that Nepal:
1) passes a bill to amend the Act on Commissions on Investigation of Disappeared Persons, Truth and Reconciliation in order to ensure effective functioning of the Commissions;
2) fully commits to end sexual and gender-based harassment and violence at all levels of society; including against LGBTI persons;
3) takes further steps to end trafficking in persons and bonded labour practices, with special emphasis on children;
4) continues its efforts to ensure an all-inclusive education system that leaves no-one behind, including children with disabilities;
5) removes restrictions on the right to freedom of religion or belief in the criminal code.