Norway's statement during the 35th UPR session of the Human Rights Council on the human rights situation in Turkey on 28 January 2020. Foreign Service Trainee Helene Opsal delivered the statement.
Check against delivery
Norway welcomes Turkey’s participation in the UPR and notes that the Human Rights situation has deteriorated since its last review, despite some positive steps taken [including the launching of Turkey’s judicial reform package].
- Ensure freedom of expression in all its forms by refraining from censoring social and conventional media [including online], and fully enabling and respecting academic and artistic freedom.
- Continue to strengthen and ensure women’s rights, by combatting violence against women and fully implementing the Istanbul Convention.
- Strengthen the independence of the judicial system and follow due judicial process according to Turkey’s international obligations and standards.
- Ensure and practice non-discrimination on the basis of sexual orientation and gender identity.
- Fully respect the right to assembly and create a safe and enabling environment for human rights defenders.