Norway's statement during the 35th UPR session of the Human Rights Council on the human rights situation in Kuwait on 29 January 2020. Senior Adviser Carina Ekornes delivered the statement.
Check against delivery
Norway welcomes Kuwait’s participation in the UPR and notes the positive steps taken since its last review [,including important legal reforms protecting guest workers].
Norway remains, however, concerned about the implementation of new legislation related to worker’s rights [and other vulnerable groups].
1) Continue to improve the rights of domestic workers, including mechanisms for complaints and sanctions for law violations.
2) Provide full citizenship and rights for the Bidoun population.
3) Take concrete steps towards the abolition of the death penalty.
4) Ensure freedom of expression in all forms and take concrete steps to ensure the independence of the media, prevent censorship and promote transparency in public affairs.
5) [Take legislative and other measures to] continue strengthening protective measures and legal rights for women.