- What specific steps has the Federal Government of Somalia taken to prevent assassinations, threats, harassment and intimidation of journalists, editors and human rights defenders? What independent investigations into such offenses has the government undertaken?
- What concrete steps has the Federal Government of Somalia taken to reduce gender inequality and realize its goal of increasing women’s participation in elected and appointed bodies at all levels of government?
- What concrete steps has the Federal Government of Somalia taken to amend its penal code with provisions to prohibit the harmful practice of female genital mutilation in accordance with accepted UPR-recommendations from 2011 and the FGS Human Rights Action Plan?
- What steps has the Federal Government of Somalia taken to prevent torture, enforced disappearances and extra judicial killings, including in efforts to counter terrorism?
- Has the Federal Government of Somalia taken steps to ensure that any evictions of internally displaced persons communities residing in informal settlements are conducted in conformity with International Human Rights Law? What steps have been taken to provide protection to those groups against illegal use of force, sexual violations, rape, and lack of secure living environments?
Norway thanks Somalia for the presentation of the national report.
We commend progress in the implementation of the Somali Compact and Vision 2016 and recommend Somalia to strengthen its efforts to increase women’s participation in elected and appointed bodies at all levels of government.
Norway supports Somalia in its efforts to eradicate the practice of Female Genital Mutilation. We recommend Somalia to speed up and finalize the process of criminalizing the practice of FGM and to take practical steps to eradicate it.
Norway supports Somalia in its efforts to counter terrorism and to ensure safety and security for all Somalis. We recommend Somalia to ensure that national security shall be pursued in full compliance with international human rights obligations, including the right to a fair trial, the rights to information, freedom of assembly and association and freedom of expression.
The role of journalists, human rights defenders and civil society is highly significant in the advancement of human rights. We recommend that the Federal Government at the highest level ensure strong public statements recognizing the legitimate and important role of journalists and human rights defenders in advancing human rights and inclusive politics