Residence permit

Citizens of Bosnia and Herzegovina need a residence permit in connection with work, studies, family immigration or to stay in Norway as an au pair.

For nationals of other countries:

  • Nationals of EU/EEA countries do not need a residence permit to stay or work in Norway. However, all nationals of EU/EEA countries who want to stay for longer than three months must register with the police.
  • Nationals of non-EU/EEA countries who want to work in Norway or to stay for longer than 90 days need a residence permit.

The Directorate of Immigration (UDI) normally processes applications for a residence permit. 

Information to applicants residing in Bosnia and Herzegovina:

Applications for visitor’s visa and residence permit for Norway are handled by the Norwegian Embassy in Ankara, Turkey. You may submit your application at one of the VFS Global application centers in Kosovo, Serbia or Turkey which collaborate with the Norwegian Embassy in Ankara.

NB: You have to submit your passport together with the application for a residence permit in order for the Embassy to examine the passport. Therefore, when applying from Turkey, Serbia or Kosovo you should make the necessary arrangements to stay in Turkey, Serbia or Kosovo while the Embassy examines the passport as this may take up to seven (7) days.