38th UPR Session of the Human Rights Council on the human rights situation in Somalia as delivered by Ambassador Tine Mørch Smith, Permanent Representative of Norway
6 May 2021
Check against delivery
Norway welcomes the positive steps taken by Somalia since its last review, resolving the current political crisis is key to ensuring further progress on human rights.
Norway recommends that Somalia:
- finalises and adopts a revised Federal Constitution fully compliant with Somalia’s international human rights obligations;
- passes legislation that prohibits all forms of violence against women and girls with effective protection measures including support and treatment for survivors of SGBV, and abolish all forms of FGM in law and practice;
- takes concrete actions to increase women’s participation in elected and appointed bodies at all levels of government;
- establishes a moratorium on the use of the death penalty with a view to abolishing it through legislation;
- ensures the protection of human rights defenders, journalists and media workers against attacks and harassment.