- The EU expresses its deep concern about the deteriorated security situation in the north of Kosovo and the erection of illegal roadblocks at strategic points.
- The EU strongly condemns all attacks that happened over the weekend, whether on patrols of EULEX, Kosovo Police or any other violent incidents. The barricades must be removed immediately, and calm must be restored. All stakeholders should avoid any rhetoric or action that would lead to further increased tensions.
- EULEX has already reinforced its presence in the north of Kosovo and together with KFOR will continue providing support to maintain a safe and secure environment in line with their respective mandates. We also thank the OSCE Mission in Kosovo for contributing to ongoing efforts to de-escalate tensions.
- The EU welcomes the decision by Pristina to postpone the municipal and mayoral elections in the four northern municipalities at this time. This decision is a step in the right direction to advance efforts to focus on the EU-facilitated Dialogue as the only way forward to avoid repeated incidents and to achieve a comprehensive agreement on the normalisation of relations between Pristina and Belgrade.
* This designation is without prejudice to positions on status, and is in line with UNSCR 1244/1999 and the ICJ Opinion on the Kosovo declaration of independence.