Residence permit

Citizens of Angola, the Democratic Republic of Congo (DRC / Kongo Kinshasa), the Republic of Congo (RC / Congo Brazzaville), São Tomé and Principe, Gabon and Equatorial Guinea need a residence permit in order to work or take up residence for longer than 90 days in Norway.

For nationals of other countries:

  • Nationals of EU/EEA countries do not need a residence permit to stay or work in Norway. However, all nationals of EU/EEA countries who want to stay for longer than three months must register with the police.
  • Nationals of non-EU/EEA countries who want to work in Norway or to stay for longer than 90 days need a residence permit.

The Directorate of Immigration (UDI) normally processes applications for a residence permit. 

As of the 1st of August 2019, the Norwegian Embassy in Luanda will discontinue the reception of all applications. From this date, residence permit applications from applicants in Angola will be handled by the Norwegian Embassy in Pretoria, South Africa. More information to follow on our web pages in this section.

This is what you should know when applying for a residence permit to Norway after the 1st of August 2019:

  • Where to apply?

All applicants must meet and apply in person at one of the VFS Global application centres in South Africa: Norway Visa Application Centre. The VFS Global application centres are located in Pretoria, Cape Town and Durban.

  • Introduction of a service fee

As before, there will be an application fee payable online when you register your application in the Application Portal. What is new is that applications submitted through VFS Global in South Africa will be subject to an additional service fee. The fee is payable to VFS Global on your application day. For information about fees, including refund policies, please see: VFS Norway application centre UDI's fee overview

  • Ongoing applications

If you have a pending application submitted prior to 31st of July 2019, you will be notified about the decision by the Hub Embassy in Pretoria. If you have given someone Power of attorney to represent you in your case, the notification will be sent to the person you have authorised.

  • More information

More information will follow on our web page in this section. Please contact the Embassy via e-mail on or if you live in one of the Norwegian Embassy in Angola’s accredited countries and have questions related to application procedures.