Norway is committed to work through the Council of Europe to ensure the respect and protection of human rights and to reinforce the rule of law in a democratic Europe.
In accordance with the shared commitment of all member states to further implement these core values, the Norwegian government wishes to:
- Keep a strong focus on protection of central human rights like the right of expression and assembly
- Improve the use of the monitoring mechanisms of the Council of Europe
- Protect minorities, fight racism and discrimination
- Fight hatred and hate speech
- Continue supporting the Council of Europe neighbourhood policy
Norway is prepared to play a leading role in upholding and reinforcing Council of Europe values and principles. Through the Framework Agreement for financial project support, Norway has established an extensive partnership with the Council of Europe addressing challenges relating to fundamental rights, judiciary reform, the protection of minorities and the fight against intolerance and hate speech.