Travel and border information for Norway

Information in Norwegian / English

Visitor’s visa and residence permit

A visitor's visa allows you to stay in Norway or other Schengen countries for up to 90 days over a period of 180 days. A residence permit gives you the opportunity to work in Norway and to stay for more than 90 days.

The visitor's visa must generally be applied for outside of the Schengen area.

When you apply for a residence permit at the embassy, please note that we will only accept documents in A4 format (all photos, receipts etc. must be copied onto A4 sheets BEFORE you arrive at the embassy). Please also remember to bring both the original documents and copies to hand in.

In addition to the documents required by the UDI, all applicants are required to bring a population registration certificate from the Swedish Population Register (Extract of the population register - "120 med alla relationer") which is ordered from the Swedish Tax Agency.