Gather the necessary documentation

You must gather all the documents in the relevant checklist on UDI’s website. Some of the documents must be provided by your contact person in Norway; others you will have to obtain yourself. 

Citizens of India, Bhutan and Nepal need a residence permit in order to stay in Norway for more than 90 days.

Please visit UDI's website for information on different types of residence permit and how to apply.

Business visa or Residence permit for work? Check here.

Exceptional cases: Entry visa (D-visa) to Norway
According to the Immigration Regulations §10-1 first paragraph, a residence permit should as a general rule be issued before entry to Norway. However, in exceptional cases the applicant is, after applying for an entry visa (D-visa), entitled to travel to Norway and stay there until the application for a family immigration permit has been processed by UDI.

To see who is eligible to apply for an entry visa (D-visa), please refer to UDI's webpage.

Please note that the entry visa is not a residence- or work permit. The applicant has to get their residence permit endorsed from Norway. Please register with the local police within seven days of your arrival in Norway.

To apply for an entry visa (D-visa), application has to be registered and fee paid in the online Application Portal Norway. The same documents as when applying for family-reunification has to be submitted.

When applying for an entry visa, applicants should select 'Schengen visa' on the application portal and write a note in the 'Additional information' field stating that they wish to apply for an entry visa (D-visa). It is also important that the applicant informs the Embassy when submitting the supporting documents that he/she has sent in applications for both family immigration and entry visa (through the Application Portal).

Entry visa (D-visa) for Nepali citizens going to Iceland
The Norwegian Embassy in New Delhi issues Entry visa (D-visa) for Nepali citizens going to Iceland. An Entry visa can be issued when the applicant has been granted a residence permit for work, au pair, student or in family reunification from the Directorate of Immigration in Iceland.   

In order to issue the entry visa, please submit your:

The documents can be submitted to VFS in Kathmandu:
Kathmandu VAC – VFS Services Pvt Ltd
Academy of Culinary Arts Building,
Ground Floor, Mahalaxmisthan Marga,
Lagankhel, Lalitpur,
Kathmandu, Nepal

For ordinary Schengen visa applications (C-visas), please follow the procedures given on the Embassy web page.

We also recommend the website of the Norwegian Directorate of Immigration (UDI).