Gather the necessary documentation
All relevant documentation must be provided at the time of the appointment. It is your responsibility to ensure that all required documentation is provided. If you do not submit all documents, the application may be delayed or rejected.
All documentation must be presented in original. The embassy will make certified copies as needed to send to the National Population Register.
The following documentation must be provided with all applications. The Tax Administration may request further documentation if deemed necessary due to individual circumstances.
The application form for applications for personal number is not available to the public but is completed by the embassy during your appointment.
There is no fee payable for the application for personal number.
- Birth certificate
- Passport, if applicable
- Valid passport for both parents
- Documentation of paternity in accordance with the flowchart. Please note that the paternity of the applicant must be established and recognised in Norway before an application for personal number is lodged. For information on how to obtain the required documentation, please see the appropriate option below.
- Court order etc. if different from parents listed on birth certificate
- Death certificate, if either parent is deceased
- Documentation from country of residence confirming your resident status
- Documentation of other citizenship, if applicable
- Documentation from country of residence confirming parents' resident status
How to document residence status
- Australian visas and resident status must be documented by Visa Entitlement Verification Online (VEVO).
- New Zealand visas and resident status must be documented by authorising the embassy to access the information on the online Visa Verification Service or by providing a "Letter of Denial" from the Department of Internal Affairs.
Applications for passport
Applications for personal numbers for minors under the age of 10 must be lodged together with an application for passport.
For persons aged 10 years and older, personal numbers must be obtained before a passport application can be lodged. This will require a second visit to the embassy.
Please see the embassy's website Applying for passport for information about required documents for the passport application.