Before you apply
- You should apply well in advance and as a rule no later than 15 days before you plan to travel. Due to the courier sending of documents in some countries, we recommend that you apply at least 4 weeks prior to your planned departure.
- You may submit your application up to six months before your planned departure, or up to nine months for seafarers.
- We recommend that you do not buy your ticket until a visa has been granted.
- You must register your application online before you can hand in the required documentation.
- When you hand in your application, you will be asked to provide fingerprints, unless your fingerprints have been collected within the last 59 months.
You can only visit Schengen for 90 days during any period of 180 days.
You can check how many days you may stay in Schengen by using this Schengen visa calculator and entering your entry and exit dates during the last 6 months.
Parents who wish to visit their children for more than 90 days can consider the 9 months permit for parents instead of a Schengen visa.