Norway’s partnership with the U.S. spans many cooperation areas, and its Embassy in Washington, DC, is the country’s largest bilateral mission with a staff of more than 50, including approximately 30 diplomats and 20 local staff. The diplomats include Foreign Service personnel as well as envoys from several specialized Norwegian government agencies, including military officers working in the office of the Defense Attaché.
The open position will report to the Norwegian Defense Attaché and is organized in the Office of the Defense Attaché, which contains eight employees.
- Administrative support for the Defense Attaché
- Leading the Defense Attaché’s administrative team
- Plan and coordinate receptions, dinners, seminars, and other events hosted by the Defense Attaché
- Compose letters/memos/speeches/invitations in English and Norwegian
- Receiving, allocating, and responding to letters/invitations/inquiries on behalf of the Defense Attaché
- Planning and coordinating travel and visits
- Maintaining contact with local authorities
- At least 3 years’ relevant education (bachelor’s degree or college education)
- At least 3 years’ relevant work experience
- Other educational backgrounds combined with many years of experience can compensate for the education requirement
- Good verbal and written communication skills in Norwegian and English
- Norwegian citizenship
- A U.S. residence permit
- Must fulfill requirements needed to obtain Norwegian security clearance
- Must have or be able to obtain work permit before the start date
- Excellent organizational and planning skills
- Well organized, with attention to detail and great problem-solving skills
- Proactive and able to work independently
- Flexible and adaptable in a hectic working environment
- Demonstrates professionalism and integrity
- Good understanding of economics
- Proficiency with Office applications
Experience in a similar position/administrative experience is preferred. Applicants considered for the position will be interviewed. Security clearance must be obtained before the start date. Personal qualifications will be emphasized.
We are offering a permanent position as a locally hired employee. Salary will depend on qualifications and match local standards. As a Norwegian citizen, you will pay taxes to Norway, and you will maintain compulsory membership in the Norwegian National Insurance Scheme (folketrygden) and the Norwegian Public Service Pension Fund (statens Pensjonskasse).
Application Deadline: February 3, 2023
Start date: TBD
Application including CV, diploma(s) and references should be sent to: Johanne.Kymre@mfa.no
For more information, please contact:
Major General Odd-Harald Hagen, Defense Attaché to the US and Canada,