Before you apply

Find out what type of residence permit you need, e.g. in connection with work, studies, family immigration or to stay in Norway as an au pair. You will find information on the different types of residence permit on UDI’s website

In order to apply for a residence permit from Uganda you must either be a citizen of Uganda, Rwanda or Burundi, or have a residence permit in one of these three countries. You must have had the residence permit for at least six months before you apply for the residence permit in Norway.

DNA-tests in family immigration cases
In some countries, it is difficult to obtain birth certificates and other documents that are accepted by the Norwegian authorities. In some cases, UDI will therefore ask for a DNA analysis of the applicant and the reference person. DNA analysis are carried out so that you can document that you are related. 

These countries include all African countries south of the Sahara (except South Africa)

If this applies to you, we will summon you for testing, and you will normally take the test at the Norwegian embassy in the country where you handed in the application.

For more information, please click here.

Closure of the Norwegian Embassy in Kampala on 31 July 2024
Kindly note that due to ongoing structural reforms of the Norwegian Foreign Service, the Norwegian Embassy in Kampala will close on 31 July 2024. The last date the Norwegian Embassy in Kampala will carry out DNA-tests in family immigration cases is on the 14 June 2024.

If you have submitted your application for family immigration at VFS in Kampala and are summoned for a DNA-test after the 14 June 2024, the DNA-samples can be collected at the Norwegian Embassy in either Nairobi, Addis Ababa or Dar es Salaam.