When you cross the border into the Schengen area, you will have to present:
- your passport with the visa sticker
- proof that you have enough money to support yourself during your stay (e.g. cash or a credit card). If you have a guarantee form, you should also bring a copy of this with you.
- documentation showing the purpose of your visit, such as an invitation, hotel reservation, etc.
- a return or round trip ticket if you are visiting the Schengen area for tourist purposes or private reasons
You may be asked to provide fingerprints by the border control officer, in which case these will be compared with the fingerprints provided when you applied for your visa.
As long as your visa is valid, you can travel around freely in the Schengen area, or in the specific Schengen countries covered by the visa. If you leave the Schengen area, for example to visit the UK or Svalbard, you will need a multiple entry visa.
When you cross the border into the Schengen area, you will also have to bring:
- Travel medical insurance
- Valid return ticket (especially when the purpose is tourism or private visits. However, we recommend all travellers to bring a print out of the ticket).
For journeys undertaken for other purposes than visiting family or friends, please click here for information on additional supporting documents to verify the fulfilment of entry conditions.
Please don't forget to make copies of documents above for yourself before applying.