Travel and border information for Norway in Norwegian / English

Traveling to Norway? - Register your arrival in our traveler registry
(About the registry)

Residence permit

Citizens of Solomon Islands need a residence permit in order to work or to take up residence for longer than 90 days.

For nationals of other countries:

  • Nationals of EU/EEA countries do not need a residence permit to stay or work in Norway. However, all nationals of EU/EEA countries who want to stay for longer than three months must register with the police.
  • Nationals of non-EU/EEA countries who want to work in Norway or to stay for longer than 90 days need a residence permit.

The Directorate of Immigration (UDI) normally processes applications for a residence permit. 

The Norwegian authorities have no local official representation for immigration matters in Solomon Islands. All applications must instead be lodged at the Norwegian embassy in Canberra. Due to the need to cross international borders to lodge your application, we recommend that you contact the embassy before making an appointment to enable us to find the most suitable options for lodging your application.

How to apply for a residence permit