Everyone who wants to apply for a Norwegian passport must have a Norwegian personal number.
For children born in Saudi Arabia, Oman or Bahrain, an application for a personal ID can be submitted together with an application for passport (“Søknad om pass”) at the Norwegian Embassy or at the Honorary General Consulate (hereafter only: the Consulate).
This must be done by personal attendance at the Embassy/Consulate, and by appointment.
Both parents and the child must be present.
If one of the parents cannot attend with the child, he/she must give his/her consent (“fullmakt”). The consent is, for instance, given to a local police station in Norway and the original then sent by mail to the parent who is present with the child. The consent can also be submitted directly to the Embassy/Consulate.
The appointment should be scheduled by sending an email to:
The Royal Norwegian Embassy in Riyadh: firstname.lastname@example.org
The Royal Norwegian Consulate General, Jeddah (Yimaj Adem): email@example.com
The Royal Norwegian Consulate General, Muscat (Paul Manalili): firstname.lastname@example.org
Please provide the following details in your email to the Embassy/Consulate:
- Name and date of birth of child/the person applying for ID number.
- Name and nationality of parents.
- ID number of parent(s) with Norwegian citizenship.
- Telephone number.
- Preferred date for appointment.
Please bring the following documents to your appointment:
- Original birth certificate with names of both parents. The date of birth (DOB) certificate must be attested by the government authority and translated into English by a certified translation office.
- Marriage certificate from National Register ( Folkeregisteret). Spouses must register the marriage in the National Register before applying for a birth number.
- In cases where the parent with Norwegian citizenship is unmarried, registered in the Norwegian Public Register (“Folkeregisteret”), and living in Norway, the father must sign a declaration of paternity.
- The parents' original valid passports (if you have more than one citizenship, please bring all passports).
- Report of birth translated into English in case birth certificate cannot be obtained.
- One completed passport application form (the form must be signed at the embassy/consulate).
- Passport fee of 770 NOK (310 SAR) must be paid in cash.
- Once the personal number is assigned, present a digital passport photo with white background without any head garments or dark glasses (the photos must be in focus, of high quality, same photo series, white background, maximum three months old, minimum 36x47mm size).
Please note: The Embassy cannot accept incomplete applications.
- The Embassy/Consulate will check the received, scanned documents.
- The Embassy/Consulate will forward all scanned copies to “Skatt Nord” (in Norway) to create a case number.
- The “Skatt Nord” will send a letter to the applicant about the DNA test. In the letter the “Skatt Nord” notifies the applicant to submit a payment directly to the bank account of “Skatt Nord”.
- “Skatt Nord” will inform the Embassy when they receive the payment, and only then they will forward the DNA kit to the Embassy.
- The child and parent(s) must then meet up at the Embassy in Riyadh for the DNA test. The Embassy will perform an ID verification on all original documents, as well as doing the DNA test.
- The applicant then submits the application for passport. Both parents must sign the consent form to apply for a social security number and passport. In some cases, the Embassy may ask both parents to sign a declaration of paternity.
- The Embassy submits the assessment of the original documents and paternity declaration to “Skatt Nord”.
- If the DNA test confirms the relationship, “Skatt Nord” assigns a Norwegian national number to the applicant.
- “Skatt Nord” sends the notification of the decision directly to the Embassy.
- ID number granted: The Embassy processes the passport application.
- ID number refused: The Embassy rejects the passport application.
Søknad om pass
Please see under for English version.
Alle norske statsborgere bosatt i Saudia-Arabia kan søke om pass ved den norske ambassaden i Riyadh.
Man må være norsk statsborger og har registrert personnummer i Folkeregisteret før søknad om pass kan innleveres ved utenriksstasjon.
Fra 19. oktober 2020 gjelder en ny forskrift om pass og nasjonalt ID-kort. Fra denne datoen ble det dyrere å søke om pass i utlandet enn i Norge.
For behandling av søknad om pass fremmet ved norsk utenriksstasjon gjelder følgende satser fra og med 1. februar 2021:
- Ordinært pass til søkere over 16 år 1 290 kroner (SAR 560).
- Ordinært pass til søkere under 16 år 770 kroner (SAR 335).
- Midlertidig pass (nødpass) 1 690 kroner (SAR 732).
Merk at kostnaden knyttes til søknadsbehandlingen og ikke til utstedelsen av selve dokumentet. Det betyr at gebyret ikke refunderes dersom søknaden må avslås. Det innføres også et eget gebyr for søknad om midlertidig pass (nødpass), som er det samme for voksne og barn.
Årsaken til endringen er at det er betydelig dyrere å utstede pass ved utenriksstasjonene enn i Norge. De nye satsene dekker kostnadene ved å utstede og produsere passene, og er beregnet på grunnlag av gjennomsnittskostnaden per pass ved utenriksstasjonene.
Nærmere regler om passgebyret finnes i pass- og ID-kortforskriften § 7-1. Her finner du også informasjon om gebyrsatsene dersom du velger å søke om pass mens du oppholder deg i Norge.
For norske statsborgere over 12 år:
- søker må personlig møte opp ved den norske ambassaden i Riyadh til forhåndsreservert tid. Du kan få en avtale ved å sende epost til email@example.com or firstname.lastname@example.org
- søker må ha med det gamle passet, eller eventuelt politianmeldelsen om at det gamle passet er stjålet eller mistet.
- søker må avgi biometri i form av foto, fingeravtrykk og signatur. Ambassaden har eget utstyr for dette.
- Søknadsavgiften må betales kontant.
For norske statsborgere under 12 år:
- søker må personlig møte opp ved den norske ambassaden i Riyadh
- Begge foreldrene må følge barnet, om en av foreldrene ikke har anledning kan vedkommende skrive en fullmakt. Begge foreldrenes pass må presenteres for verifisering av signaturene.
- Søker må ha med gammelt pass. Om passet er stjålet eller mistet må politianmeldelse medbringes.
- Om barnet søker sitt første norske pass må original fødselsattest (attestert av utenriksdepartementet) tas med.
- Nytt passbilde der søkers ansikt er rettet mot kameraet. Bildet skal være tatt mot hvit bakgrunn, munnen lukket, ørene synlig og eventuelle briller tatt av.
Norwegian Passport Applications
All Norwegian citizens residing in Saudi Arabia can apply for a passport at the Norwegian Embassy in Riyadh.
You must be a Norwegian citizen and have registered a personal identity number in the National Register before an application for a passport can be submitted at a Foreign Service mission.
From 19 October 2020, a new regulation on passports and national ID cards applies. From this date, it became more expensive to apply for a passport abroad than in Norway.
For processing applications for passports submitted at a Norwegian Foreign Service mission, the following rates apply from February 1, 2021:
- Ordinary passport for applicants over 16 years NOK 1,290 (SAR 560).
- Ordinary passport for applicants under 16 years NOK 770 (SAR 335).
- Temporary passport (emergency passport) NOK 1,690 (SAR 732).
Note that the cost is linked to the application processing and not to the issuance of the document itself. This means that the fee is not refundable if the application is rejected. A separate fee is also introduced for applying for a temporary passport (emergency passport), which is the same for adults and children.
The reason for the change is that it is significantly more expensive to issue passports at the Foreign Service missions than in Norway. The new rates cover the costs of issuing and producing the passports, and are calculated based on the average cost per passport at the Foreign Service missions.
Further rules on the passport fee can be found in the Passport and ID Card Regulations § 7-1. Here you will also find information about the fee rates if you choose to apply for a passport while you are in Norway.
For Norwegian citizens over the age of 12:
The applicant must have the old passport, or possibly the police report that the old passport has been stolen or lost.
Applicant must submit biometrics in the form of photo, fingerprint and signature, at the embassy.
The application fee must be paid in cash.
For Norwegian citizens under 12 years of age:
Applicants must appear in person at the Norwegian Embassy in Riyadh.
Both parents must accompany the child, if one of the parents does not have the opportunity, he or she can write a power of attorney. Both parents' passports must be presented for verification of the signatures.
Applicants must have an old passport. If the passport has been stolen or lost, a police report must be brought.
If the child applies for his or her first Norwegian passport, the original birth certificate (certified by the Ministry of Foreign Affairs) must be included.
New passport photo where the applicant's face is aimed at the camera. The picture must be taken against a white background, the mouth closed, the ears visible and any glasses taken off.
For issuing a certificate and attesting signatures: NOK 288, payable in local currency SAR 125.
The embassy can legalize documents and perform actions that the Notary Public in Norway can perform legalizations.
People who want to legalize a document to use it in Norway, KSA can come to the embassy by appointment.
You can book an appointment by sending an email to email@example.com or by calling the embassy.
The embassy only legalizes documents to the benefit of a Norwegian citizen or has any connection to Norway or Norwegian interests.
The document must be first legalized by the Ministry of Foreign Affairs in Saudi Arabia or by the Ministry of Foreign Affairs in Norway. Please note that the embassy does not legalize Documents from Somalia.
Applicants must bring all necessary documents to the embassy, including passports. The price for legalizations is 125 SAR per document. The amount must be paid in cash when the documents are delivered to the embassy.
By agreement, the embassy in Riyadh can perform all actions that the notary public in Norway can perform. This includes i.a. following actions:
Confirmed signatures (125 SAR per document)
Confirm True copy (125 SAR per document)
Section 13 of the Foreign Affairs Act, however, places the restriction that the embassy can only act as a notary public when this happens for the benefit of a Norwegian citizen or the relationship is otherwise connected to Norway or Norwegian interests.
A person in possession of an ordinary passport can apply for a second passport when there is a documented need for it, e.g. in connection with extensive business travel that requires frequent visa applications. Applicants for a second passport must bring the following:
- A signed letter from the employer, stating the reason for a second passport application (written on the organization’s letter).
- Valid original passport or expired second passport.
- The fee must be paid in cash.
Please note: Second passports are only valid for two years.
If you have lost your passport in Saudi Arabia, the Embassy can issue an emergency passport for your travel back to Norway. An emergency passport is issued to those who have an immediate, urgent need, and do not have the possibility to await the issuing of an ordinary passport.
The emergency passport must be delivered to the police/passport authorities at the border control upon arrival in Norway.
Emergency passports are usually not issued if you have been given an emergency passport twice within the last five years, or have previously failed to hand in the emergency passport upon arrival in Norway.
You must schedule an appointment and meet up at the Embassy in person to apply for an emergency passport. Please contact the embassy for an appointment: firstname.lastname@example.org.
Please provide the following information in the email to the Embassy:
- The applicant's full name and personal ID number.
- Telephone number.
- Preferred appointment time/day.
- Booking/travel documents to Norway.
Documents required for an emergency passport:
- Norwegian ID document (e.g. driver’s license, debit/credit card with picture and signature, or a Norwegian birth certificate).
- A police report from a local police office, stating the lost/stolen passport. The report must be presented in its original form together with a version translated into English.
- A completed “Notification of loss of passport” – form (“Søknad om pass”).
- Two passport photos without headwear or dark glasses (high quality, same photo series, white background, max. three months old, min. 36x47 mm size).
- Travel documents.
If you find a passport that has been reported lost, you must hand it in to the embassy or police in Norway. Please note that if your passport has been reported lost or stolen, it is no longer a valid travel document.