The Royal Norwegian Embassy (RNE) in Islamabad is looking for a Programme Adviser to fill a position in the Development Team. The RNE’s development portfolio is mainly focused on education, gender equality and human rights, with UN agencies, INGOs and Pakistani NGOs as partners. The successful candidate will be part of a team of two locally employed Programme Advisers supervised by a Norwegian diplomat (Head of Development Cooperation).
The RNE is particularly seeking candidates with a degree in accounting and/or auditing, relevant working experience within financial management and grants management, and a good understanding of and interest in international development issues.
The main responsibility is day-to-day management of the individually assigned project portfolio, including the following tasks:
- assess and recommend approval/rejection of project documents such as narrative and financial reports
- ensure that projects are implemented according to plans and in compliance with the terms and conditions of the grant agreement
- maintain running contact with all partners, arrange and follow up annual meetings
- conduct field visits on regular basis to monitor and verify project progress
- ensure timely registration and filing in the RNEs internal management systems (archive, IT-systems)
- be familiar with all aspects of the Norwegian Ministry of Foreign Affairs’ (MFA) grants management procedures
- keep up to date with local, national and international developments in the relevant sectors (e.g. education, gender equality, human rights)
- represent the RNE in sector-related conferences, workshops and other meetings
- meet and assess potential new partners
In addition to the responsibilities as grant manager, the programme adviser is expected to take an overall responsibility for RNEs handling of financial matters related to grant management on a systematic level:
- guide and advise all partners with regard to contractual requirements and best practices related to financial management
- ensure compliance with statutory law and financial regulations
- when necessary, provide training of partners in financial management
- when necessary, perform assessments of partners’ financial management systems
- when necessary, perform spot checks of expenses
- ensure high-level financial reporting and analysis
- ensure good cash flow management
- be as a resource person internally in the RNE Development Team on matters related to financial management, budgets and financial reporting, accounting and auditing principles
- provide in-depth knowledge of finance and audit. Specifically in project financial management systems, and internal financial control, including internal audit.
Candidates will initially be screened against the essential qualifications relating to education, experience, language and personal skills. In their cover letter, candidates must clearly demonstrate how they meet each of these essential qualifications.
Candidates must have an advanced university degree in economics, accounting, auditing, finance or a relevant discipline.
Candidates must have minimum 3 years of relevant work experience within project accounting, auditing, financial management and/or grants management.
Relevant working experience from the development sector (e.g. UN agencies, INGO, NGOs) is an advantage.
Interest in and knowledge about social and economic development issues, especially related to the RNE’s thematic priorities is an advantage. A thorough understanding of Good Governance, Education, Human Rights, Gender, Policy and Advocacy, SDGs and/or Environment issues will be an advantage.
Candidates must be fluent in English and Urdu (reading, writing and speaking)
Candidates must have proficiency in MS Office (including Word, Excel and Outlook)
Desired personal skills:
Achievement focus, analytical thinking, managing resources, teamwork-skills, strategic thinking, good communication and networking skills.
Working hour per week: 37,5
Salary: Competitive salary package
Closing date for applications: 17. November 2020.
The application, including testimonial, CV and contact information of at least three (3) reference persons, should be emailed to email@example.com. Please use “Programme Adviser” in the subject field. No phone calls will be entertained in this regard. Only shortlisted candidates will be called for interview.
Approved by: Ambassador Kjell-Gunnar Eriksen
Islamabad, 28. October 2020.