The Royal Norwegian Embassy in Abuja has five diplomats and eight local employees. The receptionist and administrative officer is retiring and the embassy is seeking her replacement.
Norway has strong political ties with Nigeria, comprehensive business relations and administer a development programme as well as humanitarian assistance to Nigeria. The Embassy is also accredited to Cameroon, Benin and Togo.
We are currently looking for a well-organised and flexible individual with strong inter-personal skills for the position of Receptionist and Administrative officer. The person will be part of the Embassy’s Administrative Team. The main responsibilities will be as follows:
- Reception duty and receiving visitors to the Embassy
- Assist Head of Chancery with consular matters
- Assist Head of Chancery with procurement
- Handling diplomatic pouch and all official mail
- Responsible for archives of the Embassy’s development programme
- Keep inventory lists updated
- Make travel arrangements
- Liaise and maintain good relations with Government agencies, other Embassies and the UN system
- Help prepare and organize social functions and event administration
Required Knowledge, Skills and Abilities
- Good inter-personal skills and good networking abilities in the domestic and diplomatic community
- The ability to work independently and meet deadlines under demanding conditions.
- Readiness to take on new tasks and areas of responsibility, if and when required.
- The daily work at the Embassy can be hectic and requires at high degree of flexibility and readiness towards tasks also outside the direct responsibility.
- Good interpersonal skills and ability to work within a team consisting of both Nigerian and Norwegian staff.
- Excellent knowledge of spoken and written English. Good writing, presentation and communication skills.
- Computer literacy and interest in new IT technology including Microsoft Office, Word, Excel and Outlook.
Education and Experiences
- University or other Higher education in relevant disciplines for the position.
- Experience from similar positions with responsibility for procurement and/or consular and/or travel arrangements.
- Experience from an embassy is an advantage.
- Experience from work with national authorities, multilateral organizational and CSOs is an advantage.
Salary Salary according to experience and qualifications.
Terms of Employment
Permanent position. Candidates who meet the stated requirements may forward their application consisting of a short motivational statement of up to 300 words describing why you want this job and their CV by Monday 30th December 2019 by e-mail to [email protected]
Please write the following in the subject file: “Application –Receptionist and Administrative officer”. Short-listed applicants will be invited to an interview, and a possible written examination. Qualified women are encouraged to apply.
The result of the application process will be announced at the Embassy’s website approximately three weeks after the application deadline.
Application deadline: Monday 30th December 2019