The Norwegian Embassy in The Hague covers the Netherlands and Luxembourg as well as the international organizations based in The Hague, with particular focus on the OPCW and the ICC. We are 18 employees, including the Norwegian Liaison to Eurojust, the Norwegian Liaison from Police Security Service and the Defence Attaché who also covers Denmark. The Hague is an international city with several international organizations. The Netherlands is also host to four EU agencies: Europol (Police Cooperation), Eurojust (Prosecution Cooperation), EMA (Medical Agency) and ESA (European Space Agency).
The Defence Attaché Office focuses on security and defence policy, as well as military matters in the Netherlands and Denmark. Through relevant and timely reporting, emphasis on analysis and assessments, the office contributes to decision-making processes in the Norwegian Ministry of Defence and the defence sector. Furthermore, the Office promotes the interests of the Norwegian defence sector in the two countries, i.a. by ensuring that Norwegian views on military and defence matters are conveyed and assisting Norwegian defence authorities and sector in bi- and multilateral defence material cooperation.
A position as locally employed adviser is vacant at the Defence Attaché's office.
The main tasks are:
- Collecting and summarizing information, including through source studies, review of media and networking
- Administrative tasks, including budget and accounting, correspondence, and archives
- Travel and visitor administration, including planning and coordination.
- Processing and dissemination of diplomatic clearances
- Contact with various authorities and institutions as well as other embassies
- Assist in communication work, including via social media
- Manage the office in the absence of the Defence Attaché
- Contribute to the Defence Attaché's reporting on defence-related matters
- Assist in answering instructions from the Norwegian Ministry of Defence and the defence sector
- As our new colleague, you possess the following qualifications:
- Higher education in political science, economics or law. Relevant work experience can compensate for lack of formal education
- Knowledge of Norwegian security and defence policy and of the Norwegian defence sector
- Experience from political analysis and report writing, including e.g., own analytical work, writing minutes, or similar
- Must be fluent in Norwegian and English (written and oral) and have sufficient knowledge of Dutch to be able to read Dutch texts and make them available in English and Norwegian.
And the following qualities:
- Ability to work methodically and systematically
- Strong commitment and high work capacity
- Good analytical skills
- Good interaction and communication skills
- Good opportunities for personal and professional development
- Diverse and motivating tasks
- A very good working environment
- Salary according to qualifications
- Start-up date is 1 July 2023
- We will carry out interviews and reference checks of relevant candidates.
- This is a full-time position in accordance with Dutch labour law. The chosen candidate will undergo security screening by Norwegian authorities, as permanent employment in the position requires Norwegian SECRET/NATO SECRET clearance.
- * Class B driving license is desirable.
For further information please contact the Defence Attaché, Colonel Stein Westlye Johannessen, e-mail: email@example.com or Minister Counsellor Martina Østerhus, e-mail: Martina.Osterhus@mfa.no
Application must be submitted by 8 May 2023.
Application should be marked “Employee to the Defence Attaché”.
Please e-mail your application and attachments (CV and copies of diplomas, certificates and references) in one document to: Def.firstname.lastname@example.org with a copy to email@example.com