In 2016, Norway granted a total of 252 million NOK (approximately USD 30 million) in development aid to Nepal. The embassy has 50 active projects in Nepal, included support to Norwegian NGOs with programs in Nepal.
Norway’s aim is to assist Nepal in building a country based on democratic principles, rule of law, gender equality, social and economic equity and promoting good governance, including fighting agaist corruption and illicit financial flows.
The formal development cooperation between the Government of Norway and the Government of Nepal began in 1996. Norway’s contribution is based on our shared dedication to achieve the Millennium Development Goals.
Out of the total official development assistance to Nepal, approximately 75% is administered by the Norwegian Embassy in Kathmandu. The remaining 25% is channelled directly from the Norwegian Ministry of Foreign Affairs and the Norwegian Agency for Development Cooperation (Norad).
Throughout all three key cooperation areas, Norway promotes gender equality, human rights, sound environmental management and economic transparency to fight corruption and illicit financial flows. All projects supported are sensitive to these important issues.