Norway and the African Union has a long-standing partnership. In 2015, the strategic partnership was formalized when the two partners entered into a Memorandum of Understanding. In 2018, the partners deepened their cooperation and entered into a framework agreement in the areas of: i) peace and security, ii) democracy and governance, iii) sustainable development and job creation, and iv) institutional capacity building.
Norway established a Permanent Mission to the African Union, based in Addis Abeba on 1 October 2018. Ambassador Morten Aasland is Norway’s Permanent Representative to the African Union.
Norway currently cooperates with the AU on several key policy areas, including education for women and children, women, peace and security, maritime issues, election support and observation, democratic governance, human rights, economic integration, migration, the UN-AU partnership, conflict prevention, and civilian capacities in peace support operations.
Norway is a consistent partner that strongly supports Africa’s own Agenda 2063 because the vision of “an integrated, prosperous and peaceful Africa, driven by its own citizens and representing a dynamic force in the global arena” is in our common interest for a common future.
The Permanent Mission of Norway to the African Union is currently looking for a dynamic, articulate and accomplished individual for the position of Advisor.
The Advisor will be cooperate closely with all colleagues at the Mission. S/he will work mainly with issues related to peace, security and development. S/he will coordinate Norway’s co-chairmanship of the AU Partners’ Group (2019-20), coordinate the Mission’s engagement with the AU Peace and Security Council, and be part of the campaign team at the Mission for Norway’s candidature to the UN Security Council 2021-22. S/he will be expected to closely follow the activities of the African Union in the Peace and Security area, and analyze and report on current situations, conflict trends and other relevant issues. In particular, s/he will be responsible for following up on issues related to Women, Peace and Security, conflict prevention and the UN-AU partnership.
The Advisor will also be expected to appraise project proposals, prepare contractual arrangements and be responsible for the follow-up of agreements with partners including the AUC, UN organizations and civil society organizations. S/he will also plan and prepare meetings, workshops and visits.
S/he must be prepared for possible adjustment of the work description and project/program portfolio.
Required Knowledge, Skills and Abilities
- Knowledge, practical experience and professional networks from regional and/or continental organizations in Africa in the area of peace, security and development.
- Excellent analytical skills and ability to produce analytical work, reports and policy recommendations.
- Analytical skills in assessing policies, strategies, programs, documents and reports, as well as the ability to present concise and informative summaries.
- Ability to closely follow international, regional and Norwegian developments in his/her area of work.
- The ability to work independently and meet deadlines under demanding conditions.
- Excellent interpersonal and networking skills and ability to work in a multicultural environment.
- Excellent knowledge of spoken and written English. Good report writing, presentation and communication skills. Excellent knowledge of spoken and written Norwegian is a strong advantage. Knowledge of spoken and written French and/or another AU language is an advantage.
- Computer literacy in Microsoft office including Word, Excel and Outlook.
Education and Experiences
- Higher university degree in relevant disciplines for the position.
- Work experience with the African Union, another international organization and/or an Embassy producing analytical work related to peace, security and development in Africa.
- Work experience in project/program management and development cooperation related to the African Union and/or other international organizations is an advantage.
Salary will be set according to qualifications.
Terms of employment
One year with possibilities of extension.
Candidates who meet the stated requirements may forward their application consisting of a short motivational statement of up to 300 words describing why you want this job and CV by Friday 22 March 2019 by e-mail to email@example.com. Please write the following in the subject file: “Application – Advisor”. Short-listed applicants will be invited to an interview, as well as a possible written examination. Qualified women are encouraged to apply.
The result of the application process will be announced at the Mission’s website approx. two weeks after the application deadline.
Permanent Mission of Norway to the African Union
Addis Ababa, Ethiopia.