The recommendations were launched at a high-level meeting in New York during the opening week of the 71st General Assembly.
Colombia, Ethiopia, Ghana, Indonesia, Jordan, Mexico and New Zealand together with Norway are partners in the UN70 initiative. During the last year, the UN70 initiative has developed a list of recommendations for the next UN Secretary-General.
Watch the high-level event in New York here.
Read more about the procedure of selecting and appointing the next UN Secretary-General here.
The UN70 initiative’s five recommendations for the next Secretary-General:
- Be your own boss: invest in your relationship with member states but be independent
- Be our number one diplomat
- Be our chief global activist
- Be the advocate for the world’s 65 million displaced people
- Be a leader in integrating human rights into all UN activities
Read the joint statement at the informal meeting with the Secretary-General-designate António Guterres, 19 October 2016.
Read more about the initiative and the recommendations in the pamphlet (.pdf) and in the op-ed by Minister of Foreign Affairs Børge Brende in Aftenposten (only in Norwegian).
Follow the debate on Twitter and the hashtag #UN70initiative.