Wednesday 10 June 2020 at 10:00 am EST.
While health workers around the world receive tributes and recognition for their roles in the COVID-19 response, they also face aerial bombardment, targeted violence, kidnappings, and threats to their ability to provide impartial health care to those in need.
You are invited to a virtual briefing event to launch the Safeguarding Health in Conflict Coalition annual report on violent attacks and other threats against health care in conflicts across 20 countries. This one-hour interactive panel discussion will highlight the report’s key findings and recommendations, insights from a nurse on the front lines, and emerging trends about attacks against health in the era of COVID-19.
Hosted by Physicians for Human Rights via Zoom, the virtual briefing event will take place on Wednesday, 10 June at 10:00 NYC, 15:00 London, 16:00 Geneva, 17:00 Istanbul, 19:30 New Delhi.
Featured speakers include:
- Abdulkarem Obadi, UN Clinic (Yemen), Paramedic Nurse
- Leonard Rubenstein, Coalition Chair and Director, Program on Human Rights, Health and Conflict, Center for Public Health and Human Rights, Johns Hopkins Bloomberg School of Public Health
- Susannah Sirkin, Physicians for Human Rights, Director of Policy (moderator)
- Christina Wille, Insecurity Insight, Managing Director
- Representative from Permanent Mission of the Republic of Poland to the UN
- Representative from Permanent Mission of Switzerland to the UN
Briefing event co-sponsors include:
- Permanent Mission of Norway to the UN
- Permanent Mission of the Republic of Poland to the UN
- Permanent Mission of Switzerland to the UN
- Permanent Mission of Uruguay to the UN
- Center for Humanitarian Health, Center for Public Health and Human Rights,
- Johns Hopkins University
- Insecurity Insight
- International Council of Nurses
- IntraHealth International
- Medical Aid for Palestinians
- Physicians for Human Rights
Please note that pre-registration is required. We hope you will join us, forward this invitation to your networks, and encourage you to submit questions to the panel for consideration to [email protected]