There will be a High-level plenary meeting of the General Assembly on the 20th anniversary of the adoption of the Declaration on the Right and Responsibility of Individuals, Groups and Organs of Society to Promote and Protect Universally Recognized Human Rights and Fundamental Freedoms, also known as the Declaration for Human Rights Defenders.
When: Tuesday, 18 December 2018, at 3 p.m.
Where: General Assembly Hall
- H.E. Ms. Michelle Bachelet, United Nations High Commissioner for Human Rights;
- Mr. Michel Forst, United Nations Special Rapporteur on the Situation of Human Rights Defenders;
- H.E. Ms. Ine Eriksen Søreide, Minister of Foreign Affairs of Norway;
- Ms. Hina Jilani, Advocate Supreme Court of Pakistan, Member of The Elders;
- Ms. Alice Mogwe, Director of Ditshwanelo — The Botswana Center for Human Rights;
- Ms. Beate Rudolf, Special Envoy for the Global Alliance of National Human Rights Institutions (GANHRI)
To allow maximum participation, Member States are encouraged to limit their statements in the plenary meeting to three minutes for individual delegations and five minutes for statements made on behalf of a group of States.