Thursday 26 September, 8:00 - 9:45 AM at International Peace Institute.
The International Peace Institute (IPI) and the Norwegian Ministry of Foreign Affairs are pleased to invite you to the 13th Annual Trygve Lie Symposium on:
Human Rights and the 2030 Agenda
When: Thursday 26 September, 8:00 - 9:45 AM.
Where: Trygve Lie Center for Peace, Security & Development
International Peace Institute
777 United Nations Plaza, 12th Floor
(Corner of 1st Avenue and 44th Street)
The event will be moderated by H.E. Ms. Ine Eriksen Søreide, Minister of Foreign Affairs, Norway, who will also give opening remarks.
Speakers at the event will include
- Mr. Achim Steiner, Administrator of the United Nations Development Programme;
- H.E. Ms. Michelle Bachelet, High Commissioner for Human Rights, United Nations;
- H.E. Dr. Kevin Casas-Zamora, Secretary-General, International IDEA;
- Mr. Maina Kiai, Former United Nations Special Rapporteur on the Rights to Freedom of Peaceful Assembly and of Association;
- as well as Ministers of Foreign Affairs who will be in New York upon the occasion of the opening of the 74th Session of the United Nations General Assembly.
Leaving no one behind is a core principle of the 2030 Agenda for Sustainable Development, which all member states committed to in 2015. One path to achieving this principle is through rule of law and strong and inclusive political institutions that respect the norms and values enshrined in the Universal Declaration of Human Rights and the subsequent human rights instruments developed by the international community.
This year’s Trygve Lie Symposium will bring together high-level government and UN officials, experts, and civil society representatives to discuss and address how the international community can promote and ensure the incorporation of human rights frameworks into the sustainability agenda. Presentations will reflect on why having strong and inclusive political institutions that respect human rights is necessary for achieving the Sustainable Development Goals (SDGs) enshrined in the 2030 Agenda.
Because of the strict security relating to the opening of the United Nations General Assembly, you will need to arrive by 8:00am and bring a photo ID, as well as a copy of your invitation to enter the building.
Please note that you must register for the event prior to September 26th in order to attend. Due to space constraints, we can only accept the first 100 positive responses.
For questions contact: Beatrice Agyarkoh, email@example.com or 212-225-9628