Monday 15 July at 3:00 pm – 4:30 pm, in Conference Room 12, UNHQ.
Welcome to a panel discussion organized by UNDESA and Permanent Mission of Norway to the United Nations.
With its universal membership and commitment to leave no-one behind, the United Nations provides a unique venue for international efforts on tax cooperation in support of the SDGs. The UN Committee of Experts on International Cooperation in Tax Matters, its Subcommittees and related capacity development efforts continue to shape norms that address cross border issues and promote policies that strengthen tax systems in developing and developed countries. The Committee provides holistic approaches to cross-border tax issues, aimed to ensure that the effectiveness of domestic tax policies is not jeopardized by shortcomings in the international tax architecture. Norway’s financial contribution and support to this work will enhance the effective participation of developing countries in the international tax dialogue.
The panel discussion will focus on how the United Nations can strengthen the engagement to help developing countries navigate a complex and evolving international tax landscape and how the UN Member States can support this agenda.
The event will be opened by high level representatives. Panelists will focus on concrete areas of work of the Committee and collaboration within the UN system and with other key actors in international tax cooperation. Panelists will also reflect on how the Committee’s work enhances tax revenue considering complex cross-border challenges, including potential profit-shifting by multinational enterprises between jurisdictions.
- H.E. Mr. Dag-Inge Ulstein, Minister of International Development, Norway
- H.E. Ms Martha Ama Akyaa Pobee, Permanent Representative of Ghana to the United Nations
- Mr. Liu Zhenmin, Under-Secretary-General, Department of Economic and Social Affairs, United Nations
- H.E. Dr. Claudine Uwera, Minister of Economic Planning, Rwanda [TBC]
- Mr. Stig Sollund, Member, Co-coordinator of UN Tax Sub Committee on Transfer Pricing
- Mr. Pascal Saint-Amans, Director of the Center for Tax Policy and Administration, OECD
- Ms. Jolanda Schenk, Global Tax Director Exploration/New Energies NBD at Shell
- Mr. Navid Hanif, Director, Financing for Sustainable Development Office, UNDESA