Wednesday 24 May 2017, 1:15 – 2:30 PM at Conference Room C, United Nations Headquarters.
ECOSOC Financing for Development Forum Side Event The Permanent Missions of Indonesia and Norway are pleased to invite you to a side event on:
Breaking the Silos: Financing for Peacebuilding and Development
When: Wednesday, 24 May 2017 1:15 – 2:30 p.m.
Where: Conference Room C, United Nations Headquarters.
The Addis Ababa Action Agenda affirms the challenges to development posed by violent conflict and recognizes the peacebuilding financing gap. In April 2016, the General Assembly and the UN Security Council adopted parallel resolutions on peacebuilding, which introduced the new framework of sustaining peace. UN Secretary-General António Guterres has called for more investments in prevention across the UN system’s work, as well as strengthened partnerships, in order to avoid crises and human suffering, and supporting governments in building resilient and inclusive societies that can deliver on the promise to leave no one behind.
The UN, Member States and key partners, are now implementing these interrelated commitments, initiatives and partnerships. The significant linkages between financing for peacebuilding and development are important in achieving sustainable peace and development. Innovative financing mechanisms are needed to assist countries in accessing financing for peacebuilding and development.
This meeting seeks to
- Raise awareness of the complementarities and synergies between peacebuilding and development,
- Discuss key partnerships, inter alia between the UN and the World Bank and with the private sector, and
- Explore concrete ideas for innovative financing of peacebuilding activities.
- H.E. Ms. Ina Hagniningtyas Krisnamurthi, Ambassador and Deputy Permanent Representative of Indonesia
- Henk-Jan Brinkman, Chief, UN Peacebuilding Support Office
- Jennifer Topping, Executive Coordinator, Multi-Partner Trust Fund Office, UNDP
Stephan Massing, Senior Strategy and Operations Officer, World Bank Group
- H.E. Mr. Geir O. Pedersen, Ambassador and Permanent Representative of Norway (moderator)
Indonesia and Norway currently serve as Focal Points for Financing for Peacebuilding in the Peacebuilding Commission.