Residence permit

Citizens of Malawi and Zambia need a residence permit in order to work or to take up residence for longer than 90 days.

For nationals of other countries:

  • Nationals of EU/EEA countries do not need a residence permit to stay or work in Norway. However, all nationals of EU/EEA countries who want to stay for longer than three months must register with the police.
  • Nationals of non-EU/EEA countries who want to work in Norway or to stay for longer than 90 days need a residence permit.

The Directorate of Immigration (UDI) normally processes applications for a residence permit. 

NB: you have to submit your passport together with the application for a residence permit in order for the Embassy to examine the passport. Zambian nationals should make the necessary arrangements allowing them to stay in Malawi while the Embassy examines the passport as this may take up to ten (10) days.