The Embassy of Norway in Nairobi represents Norway in Kenya, Somalia and the Seychelles, and has the Permanent Representativ to UNEP and UN-HABITAT. In August 2021 Norway opened an Embassy office in Mogadishu. This mission is headed by a chargé d’affaires, responsible for Norway’s relations with Somalia and reporting to the Ambassador in Nairobi.
The Embassy seeks to recruit an experienced individual as administrative and political advisor to the Embassy office in Mogadishu. This person should be able to provide administrative and practical support and to advise the Embassy office and Embassy in Nairobi on relevant Somali political and cultural issues. Knowledge of the nexus of development cooperation, humanitarian action and peacebuilding in Somalia, and the Somali-Norwegian diaspora, will be an advantage. Some travel should be expected.
Duties include, but are not limited to:
- Managing the calendar and travel schedules for the head of Embassy office
- Organizing meetings, managing invitations and travel planning
- Organising programmes and logistics related to official visits from Oslo or Nairobi.
- Being a point of contact for the Embassy office.
- Managing correspondence, including Notes Verbales and various requests
- Support the Embassy office’s information needs making use of multiple sources
- Providing political and development advice
- Assisting in consular matters as required
- Contributing analysis on other relevant issues, as necessary
- Bachelor’s degree/diploma in business administration / international relations and/or advanced secretarial/administrative training OR other relevant background
- Relevant work experience, preferably from an Embassy or International organization
- Proven administrative and organisational skills, including record keeping
- Good IT skills, including knowledge of Windows Word and Excel applications and ability to learn the Embassy’s systems
- Strong ability to gather and assess information, from multiple sources, including networks, publications, and social media, to support information needs
- Excellent command of written and spoken English and Somali.
- Good knowledge of Somali society, authorities, and its main international partners.
- Knowledge of Norwegian/Scandinavian languages, culture, and diaspora a plus
- Experience in protocol matters a plus
- Will be expected to fulfil training requirements as needed and learn on the job.
- Proven organizational, coordination, planning and record keeping skills
- High degree of attention to details, quality of work and formal requirements
- Personal and professional integrity
- Flexible, service minded, solutions oriented and with a positive attitude
- Team oriented, but able to work independently, take initiatives, take responsibility
- Tenacity, ability to work well under pressure, and prioritize
- Security conscious, mindful of circumstances and surroundings at all times
- Excellent communication and inter-personal skills
The salary is in accordance with the Norwegian Ministry for Foreign Affairs´ salary system for locally employed employees. Allowances related to security of transport and accommodation may come in addition if relevant.
Applications should include a detailed CV with educational qualifications, a summary of professional experience and a minimum of 3 professional references.
For enquiries about the substance of the job, please contact Haakon Svane, chargé d’affaires, Norwegian Embassy Office in Mogadishu; email@example.com
For enquiries about eligibility, terms and conditions please contact Franck Holstvold, Head of Administration, Royal Norwegian Embassy in Nairobi; firstname.lastname@example.org
Start date: February 2022
Applications should be submitted to: email@example.com , with copy to Haakon Svane, not later than January 10, 2022, with Application for vacancy at the Norwegian Embassy office in Mogadishu in the subject field.
Only shortlisted candidates will be contacted.