As one of our programme officers will be taking maternity leave, The Embassy of Norway has a vacancy from 27 September 2021 to August 2022 to work with the Embassy’s development portfolio in Somalia. The Embassy is supporting programmes within democratization, good governance, economic reforms, stabilization, conflict mitigation and human rights in Somalia. Somalia is a partner country for Norway in the category fragile states.
- Project management, including:
- close collaboration with the bilateral and multilateral implementing partners in the planning, implementation and monitoring processes of projects, programmes and funds
- assessing funding applications including budgets, preparing decisions/contracts and agreements
- monitoring, including reviewing narrative, financial and audit reports and field visits in Somalia
- commission independent reviews
- Prepare, actively participate in and report from meetings, coordination fora, steering committees, program reviews and field visits.
- Representing Norway in the dialogue with and coordination of international donors, government authorities, and other relevant stakeholders.
- Reporting on relevant developments and challenges related to thematic areas related to the projects
- Active member of the Embassy’s Somalia team
- The Embassy covers several countries in the region. Project management duties might include projects in Kenya and regional projects
- Other duties as required
- The Head of Mission may decide changes to assigned duties. Restructuring of the work done at the foreign service mission may impact the main duties
- University Degree preferably in political science/social science/economics/development studies is a requirement. A Master’s degree will be an advantage.
- Experience with grant management is a requirement. Experience with development cooperation from donors, international agencies or international NGOs is an advantage.
- Experience working with development and/or humanitarian issues in Somalia or other fragile states is an advantage.
- Experience of working with human rights and gender issues is an advantage.
- Knowledge about the political, security and development context in Somalia is highly desirable.
- Excellent command of written and spoken English and reporting skills are required.
- Working proficiency in Norwegian or Somali is an advantage.
- Excellent organizational skills, systematic and accurate
- Strong oral and written communication skills.
- Self-driven with ability to work unsupervised.
- Active team-member
- Ability to seek information independently and be able to analyse complex data in order to make assessments and represent Norwegian positions.
- Ability to adjust to changing priorities and undertake multiple tasks simultaneously.
- Respect for cultural diversity, with the ability to fit into a diverse team and to establish networks.
The positions are based in Nairobi under a local contract. Remuneration as programme officer. A professional and conducive working environment will be offered, in addition to good insurance and pension schemes. The programme officer will be based at the Norwegian Embassy in Nairobi. Travels to Somalia must be expected.
Applications should be submitted to the Embassy of Norway, e-mail: email@example.com not later than 19 September 2021. Please mark the email “Application Somalia PO”.
Applications should include:
- a detailed CV;
- a short letter including summary of professional experience and
- a minimum of 3 professional references
For enquiries about the substance of the job, please contact Erling Hess Johnsen, firstname.lastname@example.org or Stian Christensen, email@example.com
Only shortlisted candidates will be contacted.