The Embassy is a busy workplace with a total of 15 diplomatic and 32 local staff. Innovation Norway, our Commercial Section, is also based within the Embassy. The Embassy is a visa hub for the region and covers cases for Nepal, Bhutan, Sri Lanka and Maldives.
The Norwegian Embassy has a vacancy for a 2-year position as a program officer in the political section, with the possibility of an extension. The vacant position’s areas of responsibility will be within Development Assistance and Grant Management with the objective to contribute to sustainable, inclusive and gender sensitive social development in Sri Lanka, as well as support to national reconciliation, accountability, democratic reforms and strengthening of human rights. The areas of responsibility for the position may be adjusted over time according to the Embassy’s needs.
The Political Section is a team of three diplomats and one local staff member, in addition to a Norwegian trainee. In 2023 the team will be strengthened with one diplomat in addition to the program officer. The Political Section primarily works to enhance Norway’s cooperation and bilateral relations with India and side accredited countries, with a view to strengthening multilateral cooperation, the international trading system, and the international legal order.
- Grant Management; follow-up of projects and programs within our bilateral cooperation in Sri Lanka.
- Liaising with ministries, departments, institutions, bilateral and multilateral organizations and partners in Sri Lanka
- Provide information on relevant areas of interest for Norway in Sri Lanka and prepare reports and/or provide inputs to reports.
- Provide thematic and technical inputs and assistance for preparation of political and official visits.
- Cooperate with other sections at the Embassy on events and programs.
- Travel to project sites in Sri Lanka is required.
- Master’s degree preferably in political and/or social science, or equivalent
- Minimum 5 years of relevant experience from working in an international organization or equivalent.
- Fluency in spoken and written English is required.
- Fluency in Sinhala and/or Tamil is required
- Knowledge of the Nordic countries and Scandinavian languages will be an advantage.
- Analytical, organized, open and transparent.
- Ability to work independently
- Good cooperation skills, including communicating clearly, actively listening to others, taking responsibility, and respecting the diversity of colleagues
Terms and conditions
- The Embassy follows Indian law with respect to employment rights
- Competitive salary in accordance with education and experience
- Social security benefits will be in accordance with the social security legislation in India
- Working days; Monday-Thursday (08.30-16.30) Friday (08.30-14.00) and 25 days annual leave.
- Necessary training will be provided both on the job and through mandatory courses, some of which may be held in Oslo, Norway.
A brief application letter (maximum 1 page) with CV and necessary documentation of education and work experience may be sent to the Embassy by e-mail- email@example.com within 6 February 2023. Scanned copies may be used for the application but the applicant must be able to present the originals if requested.
A Police verification certificate is mandatory upon selection.
For any applicants who are not Indian citizens, a summary of legal status in India must be included. Please include 2-3 references with complete contact information (telephone/mobile number and email address).
Questions relating to the position may be directed to Counsellor Beate Gabrielsen (Beate.Gabrielsen@mfa.no).
Questions relating to the application process may be directed to our Office Manager- Pradeepa T.C. (firstname.lastname@example.org).
For any other information please contact the Embassy by telephone 011-41363200.
Deadline for application: 6 February 2023