Regional cooperation – with a focus on peace and security, good governance and development – is key in Norway’s foreign policy in Africa. The Royal Norwegian Embassy has established a Regional Team to handle regional cooperation, including work related to the African Union, the UN Economic Commission for Africa, IGAD and Civil Society Organisations.
The Royal Norwegian Embassy in Addis Ababa is currently looking for a dynamic, articulate and accomplished individual for a temporary replacement position of Program Officer for its regional cooperation portfolio. The position is part time with some flexibility according to work load.
The Program Officer will be covering for a colleague on extended leave and be part of the Embassy’s Regional Team. The Program Officer is expected to appraise project proposals, prepare contractual arrangements and will be responsible for the follow-up of agreements with partners including the African Union, the UN Economic Commission for Africa and Civil Society Organisations. In addition, the Program Officer is expected to produce analytical summaries from meetings and conferences, as well as to follow and report on developments related to good governance, development, peace and security and the work of the AU, UNECA, IGAD and CSOs. S/he must be prepared for possible adjustment of the project/program portfolio.
Required Knowledge, Skills and Abilities
1. Knowledge and practical experience in the areas of regional cooperation in Africa (AU, UNECA, IGAD, CSOs; peace and security, good governance and development).
2. Analytical skills in assessing policies, strategies, programs, documents and reports, as well as the ability to present concise and informative summaries.
3. Ability and experience in managing collaborative works, co-operations, linkages/networks and partnerships.
4. Good interpersonal skills and ability to work within a team consisting of both Ethiopian and Norwegian staff.
5. Experience in project grant management and knowledge of Norwegian guidelines and regulations in this area
6. Ability to closely follow international, African and Norwegian developments in his/her area of work and informing Embassy staff on new developments.
7. The ability to work independently and meet deadlines under demanding conditions.
8. Readiness to take on new tasks and areas of responsibility, including assignments within other areas of the Embassy’s regional cooperation portfolio, if and when required.
9. Knowledge of a Scandinavian language
10. Excellent knowledge of spoken and written English, good report writing, presentation and communication skills.
11. Computer literacy in Microsoft office including Word, Excel and Outlook.
Education and Experience
1. Higher university degree in relevant disciplines for the position.
2. At least five years of work experience in fields related to regional cooperation in Africa, peace and security, good governance and development.
3. Three years of experience in project/program management and development cooperation.
As per Embassy’s scale.
Terms of Employment
Six months with possibilities of extension.
Candidates who meet the stated requirements may forward their application consisting of a short motivational statement of up to 300 words describing why you want this job, CV and supporting documents by 17.07.2017 by e-mail to firstname.lastname@example.org. Subject: Application – Temporary replacement Regional Program Officer. Only short-listed applicants will be contacted. Qualified women are encouraged to apply.
The result of the application process will be announced at the Embassy’s website approximately one month after the application deadline.