The Local Political Officer will be part of the Embassy’s political team. The Local Political Officer is expected to provide information, insight and analyses regarding domestic political and policy developments in Ethiopia. She/he will also play an important role in the Embassy’s work related to human rights, rule of law and governance, including through attending selected trials and reporting accordingly. The Political Assistant is expected to produce analytical summaries from meetings, conferences, seminars etc. She/he is expected to follow and report from the Amharic media in Ethiopia, and to build and maintain relevant networks relevant to the position. The Local Political Officer will work in close cooperation with the Embassy’s Diplomat Political Officer, as well as other relevant staff. She/he must be prepared for possible adjustments of the portfolio.
Required knowledge, skills and abilities:
- Knowledge, practical experience and professional networks in the areas of domestic policies, human rights, rule of law and governance in Ethiopia.
- Analytical skills in assessing Ethiopian national policies, and to follow and report on the political developments in Ethiopia.
- Well-developed analytical skills in assessing policies, strategies, reports and national plans, as well as the ability to present concise and informative summaries in writing.
- Ability and experience in managing a variety of professional contacts and networks.
- Ability to work independently and meet deadlines under demanding conditions.
- Readiness to take initiative and present new ideas.
- Readiness to take on new tasks and areas of responsibility, including assignments within other areas of the Embassy’s portfolio, if and when required.
- Good interpersonal skills and ability to work within a team consisting of Ethiopians and Norwegians.
- Fluency of English and Amharic, knowledge of Scandinavian language is an advantage.
- Ability to prioritize tasks effectively and work under pressure.
- High level of flexibility and motivation.
- Computer literacy in Microsoft Office including Word, Excel and Outlook.
- Experience with Social Media communications is an advantage.
Education and Experience:
- Higher university degree, preferably in Political Science or International Law.
- At least three years of work experience in fields related to Ethiopian domestic politics, policy analysis, human rights, rule of law and governance.
As per the Embassy’s scale. The position is paid in local currency.
Terms of employment:
The position is intended as a permanent position, with a defined period contract of a 6 month period possibly preceding permanent employment.
Closing date for application: 19 June 2017 through email to firstname.lastname@example.org
Subject: Application Local Political Officer.
The application should include a motivation letter, attached by a simplified CV and two references. Further details on request if needed. The result of the recruitment process will be announced at the Embassy’s website approximately one month after the application deadline.
Estimated time of commencement: 15 August 2017.